You just can’t beat the irresistible smell of hot cross buns; we’d have them all year round if we could!
This Easter we’ve decided to do a take on the classic ‘bread and butter pudding’. There’s a few variations of this recipe, and for ours we decided to add a layer of fresh raspberries and raspberry jam to add more depth to the flavour.
Fluffy hot cross buns, creamy custard and sweet raspberries is a combination that you just can’t go wrong with.
If you love chocolate (let’s be real, who doesn’t?!) you can also make this recipe using chocolate hot cross buns (rather than the classic fruit variety) or sprinkle a handful of chocolate chip baking bits to add little surprises of melted chocolate magic. Because after all, it is Easter!
Prep time 15 mins.
Cook time 55 mins (plus soaking, resting).
600 ml pouring cream
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
Rind of 1/2 lemon
Rind of 1/2 orange
8 egg yolks
140g (2/3 cup) caster sugar
8 Classic Hot Cross Buns (1 day old)
1/4 cup raspberry jam
1/2 cup fresh raspberries
30g softened butter
Icing sugar, for dusting
Fresh raspberries and strawberries, to serve
1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Cut hot cross buns in half and spread the cut side of each bun half evenly with butter, then spread with jam. Arrange bun bases snugly in a lightly buttered shallow baking dish (a brownie dish is perfect), and sprinkle with fresh raspberries and chocolate chips if you desire, before placing bun tops on top of bottoms.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, bring cream, vanilla and rinds to the simmer. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk yolks and sugar until combined and pale.
- Remove the hot cream mixture from the heat and whisk in the sugar egg mixture and continue to whisk slowly to until both mixtures are combined.
- Pour custard over prepared buns in tin and stand for 30 minutes.
- Bake until custard is just starting to set (30-35 minutes), then increase heat to 200°C and bake until caramelised and golden (10-15 minutes). If you slightly burn the tops of the buns don’t panic, it adds a delicious crunchy element.
- Remove from oven and rest for 30 minutes, dust with icing sugar and serve with fresh raspberries and strawberries. Voila!